Friday 13 February 2009

Tiscali - just DON'T do it !!

In a vague attempt to save money on my phone and ADSL bills, I decided to an alternative provider to BT was the order of the day. I looked around and decided against Carphone Warehouse (too many negative comments) but went for a supplier that I also found negativity for, but some customers reporting good service.
Mistake - cos I chose Tiscali.


Day 1 - ADSL account dropped by BT - but phone was working OK… so I thought.
However, no account set up details from T, so tried a few options with no joy. Called T but was told welcome pack would arrive the following day. What good is that? - a welcome pack delivered the day ‘after’ the service is provided.

Pack did arrive, but when I tried it, there was no ADSL.
Tried calling support line (5p per minute) - and told it would be OK in 24 hours. No joy next day, so tried again. Decided to check phone line - and discovered the number had been changed, despite everything telling me I’d keep the same phone (PSTN) number. Called T again - advised that in 24 hours it would all be OK again. Do you see a pattern emerging here… if you wait 24 hours, the magic Tiscali Fairies somehow ‘should’ magic something up… apparently ! Get real… there are no Fairies in the world of telecoms, and so, as expected, nothing actually happened.

Got very cross, and demanded a call back to tell me what they were doing… no call !
However, after ONE WEEK, finally managed to get to speak to a 2nd line engineer who immediately diagnosed the problem, and told me the same thing I’d been telling them… that there was a crossed connection in the local exchange. T got a BT engineer to pop into the exchange and hey presto, only 8 days after the service went live, I got my ADSL line back.. and a phone with the same number that all of my friends and family actually know.

So - not a happy experience, but we’ll see how it pans out over the next few weeks. Any problems and my wife has demanded we go back to BT.
Watch this space…..

No comments: